Thursday, July 21, 2011

Handsome thug

Today driving through Laguna canyon I spotted a large clump of something I've been looking for.  It's an evil thug that is clogging up California's water ways. Arundo donax is a large reed from the Mediterranean, it's the reed that makes the wind instruments work. Growing 12 feet tall and taller, it's an impressive grass.  The variety I have been thinking about is the variegated form.  I have spotted it off of Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu,  the 101 freeway near the Hollywood Bowl and now Laguna canyon.  This was my first chance to grab some divisions.

I know you're going to ask me why I would do such a thing?  Well, for one I love the way the plant looks. Secondly it's very tough and drought tolerant. Thirdly, The height will help to screen out my neighbors.  If I lived anywhere near anything that resembled nature I would not plant this grass.  And just to be safe, I will never allow it to bloom.  I potted up several plants.




2 comments: