Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Native job

Up to this point I haven't blogged much about my work, and I don't plan to make this about business,  but I thought these photos were so nice that I though I'd share.  This garden was planted in July of last year and it's a case of where the normal thoughts about natives were bucked.  By that I mean that not only did we plant in summer but we also planted in 90+ degree heat.  We lost only one plant and that was a Ribes 'Claremont'.  Losing natives in the landscape is considered common even when abiding the usual rules of planting in cool weather etc.  And this garden is in Pasadena so it saw a lot of near 100 degree heat last summer.  You can see the client wanted as much lawn as possible but I was able to talk her into nice swath of California natives. I was able to sell the concept on natives based on saving water as well as the enjoyment of wildlife. I think this exuberant flush of color is a nice benefit too. You can't see it from the photos but there's a nice little flagstone path that wanders through the gravel and wildflowers.




California natives, and annual wildflowers







Catalina ironwood Lyonothamnus, and California poppies



Penstemon 'Margarita BOP' , native, small, and blue!  Such a winner!

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I love the color you have added to this space and the fact you were able to add native plants is such a definite plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this treatment using natives along the driveway.
    I am in Pasadena too, but under the trees, so this sunny type of planting is something I can only admire.
    Feel free to share more of your projects, I love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete