Friday, September 10, 2010

Plant of the week: Frankenia thymifolia

Well,  here is the first plant of the week, Frankenia thymifolia.  So many plants are looking good in the garden. But I have been admiring this little guy for some time and since I learned of it this year it seems like a good plant to write about.  I have been obsessed for some time with tough Med type plants (this one is actually from the Mediterranean) that look mossy.  Mossy can add such a nice texture and lends a cool restful feeling to the garden. I picked up a 4" pot of this wooly thyme doppleganger  (I don't know how to do the umlaut over the "a") at Brita's (Grown by Native Sons) back in spring. Being a compulsive propagator I took some tiny cuttings and planted the original plant.  After a week the cuttings rooted and over a series of weeks I propagated and planted out many more plants.  P.S.  it will self layer if you just leave it alone. Though I am sure I sped things up in this way.   I was pleased to find that it stood up to occasional traffic and full sun.   It is a very pleasant dark green now but I have seen photos on-line that show it to have a red autumn color, something to hope for/ look forward to. It's also supposed to have small pink flowers, again echoing thyme, but I have yet to see them.

Here is a couple photos of the planting in the pocket garden.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment