Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bee-ing organized

I can't resist puns. I'm sure in time scientists will find that it's a faulty gene.  You'll be hearing lots of bee jokes. Just a fair warning.

This morning I was a very industrious person, I got up early and finally finished the enclosure for the apiary.  Now I have a lockable gate to keep the hordes away.

While I was in there working like a busy bee, I decided I could get organized.  I noticed when we first took the hive apart for inspection that I had no place to put the frames of comb aside without pressing into the bees. This did not kill bees but it was also not an ideal situation. So, I set up a wall where I can hang several frames at once, where the bees can move freely. Then I decided to take an old piece of plywood and turn it into a small work surface.

here is the result:

the model for the organized urban beekeeper, comb observation center, work surface and extra supers.  What more could you want?!

5 comments:

  1. That is a honey of an apiary set up. Really sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HB! you have the puny problem I have. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite the deezzzzz-igner again. So pretty! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dustin, when are you not an industrious person? You put the bees to shame. Instead of "busy as a bee," we might as well say, "Busy as Dustin." What a nice home you've made the bees and the beekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, would you believe me if I said I feel lazy from time to time.

    ReplyDelete