Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Concrete creativity

Alright, I'm going to let you in on a secret.  I'm a creative compulsive.  There I've send it, it's out there.  I own it!   Every few days I have to create something.  But lately in the garden my focus has been concrete,  molding concrete.  First it was the balls, then ball towers and now it's relics.  I want to create the sense that the garden, which is not quite a year old, has roots in an ancient culture.  This ancient culture's artifacts are being brought to the surface by Whiskey Creek, my little pond and dry stream bed.  So amongst the balls and stones there are also Buddhas and Quan Yins.

So, how did I do it?  Well still doing it.  I went "old school" and made my molds out of natural latex.   It takes a while and yes it is a bit messy but the results are really fun.  I set my molds in sand on my work table,  get them all ready and then get the concrete mixer going. Did I mention I have a concrete mixer? Originally I had justified the purchase by thinking I would mix custom batches of potting soil. That never happened but I'm so happy I bought it.

Anyway my plan is to keep doing more and more heads until I have hundreds.  Piles and piles.  Here's a look at a couple of areas of the garden where I'm starting to see progress. And a shot of the molds on some stakes in the garden, it kinda looks like some gruesome scene.

Don't you want some latex?

Slathered in latex


Heads on pikes, yikes!

Quan Yin and Buddha

First big Buddha!


More


and More!







2 comments:

  1. So glad your secret is out in the open, you compulsive creator. The concrete heads are coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have given you credit. You named it!

    ReplyDelete